Submission GuidelinesSpecialist poetry & photography journal.
beta: An early version of a program or application that contains most of the major features, but is not yet complete. Sometimes these versions are released only to a select group of people, or to the general public, for testing and feedback.
what are we looking for?
- We are particularly partial to poems and photographs that explore the North of England in some form or share experiences of life in this part of the world, although not exclusively. We are open minded to all sorts of themes and subject matter
- We are open for submission during the months of April and October
- We do not accept previously published poetry or photographs. This does not include publication on your social media feeds, but does include your personal blogs
- We do not accept simultaneous submissions.
- We want to read your best two poems only – it will also help us if you send your work in a .doc and .pdf format
- Photographers are encouraged to send up to three images per reading period (low resolution images at first, we will request higher quality images when we need them)
- Artists are asked to send their work to firstname.lastname@example.org using the following format in the subject line, Submission – Poetry or Photography (choose one) – Full Name
- Writers and Photographers will retain the copywrite for their work – although they permit its usage in our journal, on our website and on our social media feeds
- If you are fortunate enough to have your work accepted elsewhere, we ask you to acknowledge The Broken Spine Artist Collective and the issue number it first appeared in
- Artists are encouraged to include in the body of their submission email a cover letter, a short bio, their Twitter handle and Instagram username along with a head and shoulders shot of themselves
The Broken Spine enjoys:
- Narrative poetry rather than form poetry
- Poems that shine – a sense of voice/flair/style
- Poems that shake us to the bone – emotions/feelings/honesty/bravery are great if they are cultivated
- Interesting and surprising language
- Experimental work, providing it is not deliberately pretentious – poems with distinct formats are ok
- SHOW not TELL
- Bold and exciting photography that captures everyday beauty -people/nature/the city
The Broken Spine does NOT like:
- Anything AT ALL that may be deemed racist, ageist, sexist, homophobic, or contain any sort of hateful, vengeful or malicious content
- If you submit this sort of material you are not, and will never be welcome at The Broken Spine
- Rhyme for the sake of rhyme
- Preachy poems that rant about how shit your life, or the world is – be brave and honest but avoid dirge
- Plagiarism – we are well-read and will more than likely spot it